3/1/12

Fun-Filled March Begins!


The end of February last night marked the end of my month of romance, and HB and I decided to end it with a date night to celebrate leap day. We went to Tavola, as per usual. 


February didn't go as well as I thought it would. We didn't have a date night one week, and we didn't eat at the table every night we had dinner together. I don't know if it was a combination of things (HB's crazy schedule, stress at work, life, etc.), but every time we did do these things I had fun and felt a little more connected. We did start playing board games once a week, which was a really nice change from parking ourselves in front of the TV. 



I think we will continue to eat dinner at the table as often as we want to. I'm not going to try to make it an every night mandatory thing, but it was an easy way to connect after a long day. I also think we will continue having date night weekly (or try) and continue to do game night a few nights a month. Sometimes date night can be as simple as getting coffee and taking a stroll - something that only takes 30 min and $5, and I have to remember that it doesn't have to mean a dinner or an entire day spent doing an activity. 



With the start of March comes the start of my mission to have more fun. One of the core things that The Happiness Project talks about is having more fun, and I wanted to find a way to incorporate that into my resolutions this year. In my late teens and early twenties I felt like I had a lot more fun. I was more reckless and wild, would stay out late with friends, and was up for anything. 



And then I grew up. I had rent, groceries, and bills to pay. I had to get a real job. And I feel like a lot of the fun in my life went out the window because it didn't match my new, responsible lifestyle. But there are other ways to have fun, and this month is all about grasping that. 



One of the things Gretchen writes about is that what is fun for other people might not be fun for you, and that you really need to think about what fun means for you. I have no idea what fun means for me! I feel like a lot of the activities I enjoy aren't things I would consider fun. Reading or doing crosswords isn't FUN. 



So far I only have three goals for March:

1. Start every day with a dance party. 
2. Continue having weekly date nights.

3. Think of things that are fun, and do more of it. 

I don't know if a marathon viewing of Downton Abbey counts, but if it does I've reached my goal today!

No comments:

Post a Comment